CoCoRaHS in Castle Valley. Photo Credit: Tom Haraden
Water Rangers in the News
To listen to a piece from Utah Public Radio about CoCoRaHS click here.
How Do I Join
Becoming an observer is simple.
- Click on "Join CoCoRaHS" on the left and complete the online application form.
- Once you sign up, you will receive a login and password.
- Acquire and install one of our rain gauges see below.
- Begin making daily observations. It's that simple! With your login and password, you'll be able to record your observations through the internet in just seconds, and they'll show up on our daily maps.
Do I have to make a measurement every day
No, absolutely not.
That said, we are looking for consistent measurements, and every day is better. But we do understand that people go on vacation, get sick, or just plain forget. The Water Ranger police will not come knocking on your door if you miss a day. Promise.
Return to Top
What Do I Need
Well... You need a rain gauge! And a good place to put it.
Because CoCoRaHS is not only statewide, but national, we strongly prefer everyone to have the same kind of gauge, to better allow comparison of measurements.
We use a 4"-diameter plexiglass gauge that looks like this:
You can purchase this gauge in several places.
- The easiest is from the Utah Climate Center. We bought a bunch and will sell them at cost -- $18. Send us a check and we'll send you your gauge we'll even cover the postage.
Utah Climate Center
Attn: Rain Gauge
4825 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-4825
- WeatherYourWay.com or AmbientWeather.com These are the same gauges, but at $25 they cost a bit more shipping and profit, I imagine.
Return to Top
To contact the state coordinator for your region, identify your region on the map below, and then visit the Utah Coordinators Page. |